What were Matt's dreams?
- To play hockey and win a National championship
- To learn to play the drums and form a band
- To have a job he loved
- To start a construction business with friends
- To become financially independent
- To enjoy life to the fullest and look forward to each new day
Dreams Not Completed:
- To get married and start a family
- To own a home of his own
- To have children and see them grow up an start their own families. Giving them every chance to do what they want, to live a life to the fullest like my parents did for me
Dreams Completed By Friends:
- Rebuild his 1980 CJ7 Jeep and travel the 4X4 trails in Colorado
Changes made because of Matt:
- Matt’s Law - It is now a felony in Nebraska, Iowa and Kansas to leave the scene of a personal injury accident.
- The charges in the Nebraska multiple DUI Laws have now increased by 225% with this Law.
- Matt’s Law went into effect on July 12, 2006!
Matt's Jeep Trip
We all have dreams when we are growing up, and Matt was no exception. He dreamed of becoming a hockey player and winning a national championship, he did that. He dreamed of learning to play the drums and form a band and play music, he did that. Matt dreamed of starting a construction business with friends, he was well on his way.
But his number one dream was to rebuild his 1980 CJ7 Jeep, and travel the Jeep trails in the Colorado Mountains. Through the help of area business, his friends and people that only briefly knew him, that dream was completed on August 6, 2005.
Six of Matt's close friends traveled to Dillon, Colorado to travel to the top of the Continental Divide above Montezuma. At the top family and friends had a ceremony for Matt, leaving a picture and personal notes to Matt in a capsule at the top. Each of Matt's friends, as they stood at the top, had time to think of Matt and his Colorado.
Matt loved to cook foil meals and 'Smors on an open fire on each trip to Colorado. His friends made sure this trip was no exception. Friends and family shared stories with each other and became closer that night.
We would like to Thank those who donated their time and part to complete Matt's Jeep:
- Rick Domenge - Krylon Rebuild & Mechanical, Body Work, Electrical
- Dave Huxhold - Custom Paint and Flames on Hood
- Line-X - Sprayed on Liner for Interior
- Bellevue Tire and Auto Services - Bellevue - Tires
- AAMCO Transmission - North 72nd
- Performance Jeep - Seat Covers
- Ultimate Truck - Part
- Sutton Jeep Repair - Waverly, NE - Parts
- Advance Auto Parts - Parts
- Auto Zone - Parts
- Omaha Suspension - Leaf Spring
- Radiator Depot - Radiator
- Matt's Closest Friends - John Rice, Mike Clayton, Jeremy Willin, Scott Newell, Brian Smith, Jill Thomas - Labor